Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sample Poetry, Old song bits, Thoughts of fictional Zoli - Are these quotes from Papusza?

Interest in Papusza and Zoli - from a blast of poems, words like these: "Zoli," by Colum McCann.

"We sing to sweeten the dead grass" Zoli 10
"From what is broken, what is cracked, I make what is required" Zoli 10
"I will not, o, never call the crooked finger straight" Zoli 10
"My grave is hiding from me" Zoli 105

"Zoli believed there was a life-spring that went down to the center of the earth and that it ran both ways but mostly it rose from the well of her childhood." Zoli at 93

"When I cut brown bread don't look at me angrily, don't look at me angrily because I'm not going to eat it." Zoli at 87.

"They broke my little brown arm, now my father he cries like the rain" Zoli at 31. A song bit.

"I will fill the empty cup, it is not so hollow any more, I will fill it with wine, it will come from the palm of your hand." Zoli at 30

"I want no shadow to fall upon your shadow, your shadow is dark enough for me." Zoli at 31

"The old horse is standing though he is not sleeping, he always has a watching eye, a watching eye." Zoli at 259.

"If you have the money you can think what you like." Zoli at 259.

Read longer works at pp.278-283.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colum McCann, not David mcCollum!!!

Carol Widing said...

Right you are - Thanks. Murphy's. Fixed wherever we found the mix-up. Did we miss any?

Now - are the references the real words of Papusza, or are they in the style and spirit of Papusza, but from
Colum McCann?